CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is an Italian GNU/Linux live distribution created as a project of Digital Forensics. Currently the project manager is Nanni Bassetti.
CAINE offers a complete forensic environment that is organized to integrate existing software tools as software modules and to provide a friendly graphical interface.
The main design objectives that CAINE aims to guarantee are the following:
- an interoperable environment that supports the digital investigator during the four phases of the digital investigation
- a user friendly graphical interface
- user friendly tools
CHANGELOG CAINE 6.0 "Dark Matter"Kernel 3.16.0-36
Based on Ubuntu 14.04.1 64BIT - UEFI/SECURE BOOT Ready!
Caine 6.0 on pendrive can boot on Uefi/Uefi+secure boot/Legacy Bios/Bios.
Caine 6.0 on DVD can boot on Legacy Bios/Bios.
SystemBack is the new installer.
- fixed password request in polkit
- fixed password request in textmode e tty
- Bash bug fixed shellshock
- mount policy always in ro and loop mode
- fstrim disabled (enable uncommenting the row in /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim)
- autopsy patched by Maxim Suhanov:
- (HFS directories handling fixed,
- Sun VTOC volume system handling fixed,
- incorrect timestamps (that are equal to zero) are handled as 01/01/1970 00:00:00)
- QPhotorec (photorec gui)
- BEViewer Bulk Extractor
- Log2timeline plaso - supertimeline
- Inception memory dumper by firewire
- Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 wireless card drivers