SniffPass is small password monitoring software that listens to your network, capture the passwords that pass through your network adapter, and display them on the screen instantly. SniffPass can capture the passwords of the following Protocols: POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, FTP, and HTTP (basic authentication passwords).
You can use this utility to recover lost Web/FTP/Email passwords.
In order to start using SniffPass, follow the instructions below:
- Download and install the WinPcap capture driver or the Microsoft Network Monitor driver.You can also try to capture without any driver installation, simply by using the 'Raw Socket' capture method, but you should be aware that this method doesn't work properly in many systems.
- Run the executable file of SniffPass (SniffPass.exe).
- From the File menu, select "Start Capture", or simply click the green play button in the toolbar. If it's the first time that you use SniffPass, you'll be asked to select the capture method and the network adapter that you want to use.After you select the desired capture options, SniffPass listen to your network adapter, and display instantly any password that it find.
- In order to verify that the password sniffing works in your system, go to the demo Web page at http://www.nirsoft.net/password_test and type 'demo' as user name and 'password' as the password. After typing the user name/password and clicking 'Ok', you should see a new line in the main window of SniffPass containing the user/password you typed.
Get passwords of another computer on your network ?
Many people ask me whether SniffPass is able to get passwords from another computer on the same network. So here's the answer. In order to grab the passwords from other network computers:
- You must use a simple hub to connect your computers to the network. All modern switches and routers automatically filter the packets of the other computers, so the computer that runs SniffPass will never "see" the passwords of other computers when you use a switch or a router.
- Your network card must be able to enter into 'Promiscuous Mode'.
- You must use WinPCap or Network Monitor Driver as a capture method.
- For wireless network: Most wireless network cards (or their device drivers) automatically filter the packets of other computers, so you won't be able the capture the passwords of ther computers. However, starting from Windows Vista/7, you can capture passwords of wireless networks that are not encrypted, by using Wifi Monitor Mode and Network Monitor Driver 3.x.For more information about capturing from wireless networks , read this Blog post: How to capture data and passwords of unsecured wireless networks with SniffPass and SmartSniff
|/NoCapDriver||Starts SniffPass without loading the WinPcap Capture Driver.|
|/NoReg||Starts SniffPass without loading/saving your settings to the Registry.|