Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity, and helps you to:
- use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
- leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly;
- use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 1.4, is out.
Upgrades and changes
We disabled in Tails the new circuit view of Tor Browser 4.5 for security reasons. You can still use the network map of Vidalia to inspect your circuits.
- Tails OpenPGP Applet now has a shortcut to the gedit text editor, thanks to Ivan Bliminse.
- Paperkey lets you print a backup of your OpenPGP secret keys on paper.
Upgrades and changes
- Tor Browser 4.5 protects better against third-party tracking. Often when visiting a website, many connections are created to transfer both the content of the main website (its page, images, and so on) and third-party content from other websites (advertisements, Like buttons, and so on). In Tor Browser 4.5, all such content, from the main website as well as the third-party websites, goes through the same Tor circuits. And these circuits are not reused when visiting a different website. This prevents third-party websites from correlating your visits to different websites.
- Tor Browser 4.5 now keeps using the same Tor circuit while you are visiting a website. This prevents the website from suddenly changing language, behavior, or logging you out.
- Disconnect is the new default search engine. Disconnect provides Google search results to Tor users without captchas or bans.
- Better support for Vietnamese in LibreOffice through the installation of
- Disable security warnings when connecting to POP3 and IMAP ports that are mostly used for StartTLS nowadays.
- Support for more printers through the installation of
- Upgrade Tor to 0.2.6.7.
- Upgrade I2P to 0.9.19 that has several fixes and improvements for floodfill performance.
- Remove the obsolete #i2p-help IRC channel from Pidgin.
- Remove the command line email client
- Make the browser theme of the Windows 8 camouflage compatible with the Unsafe Browser and the I2P Browser.
- Remove the Tor Network Settings... from the Torbutton menu.
- Better support for Chromebook C720-2800 through the upgrade of
- Fix the localization of Tails Upgrader.
- Fix the OpenPGP key servers configured in Seahorse.
- Prevent Tor Browser from crashing when Orca is enabled.