Manalyzer is a free service which performs static analysis on PE executables to detect undesirable behavior.
A static analyzer for PE files
Manalyze was written in C++ for Windows and Linux and is released under the terms of the GPLv3 license . It is a robust parser for PE files with a flexible plugin architecture which allows users to statically analyze files in-depth. Manalyze...
- Identifies a PE's compiler
- Detects packed executables
- Applies ClamAV signatures
- Searches for suspicious strings
- Looks for malicious import combinations (i.e.
- Detects cryptographic constants (just like IDA's findcrypt plugin)
- Can submit hashes to VirusTotal
- Verifies authenticode signatures (on Windows only)
How to build
There are few things I hate more than checking out an open-source project and spending two hours trying to build it. This is why I did my best to make Manalyze as easy to build as possible. If these few lines don't work for you, then I have failed at my job and you should drop me a line so I can fix this.
On Linux and BSD (tested on Debian Jessie and FreeBSD 10.2)
$> [sudo or as root] apt-get install libboost-regex-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev build-essential cmake git
$> [alternatively, also sudo or as root] pkg install boost-libs-1.55.0_8 cmake
$> git clone https://github.com/JusticeRage/Manalyze.git && cd Manalyze
$> cmake .
$> cd bin && ./manalyze --version
- Get the Boost libraries from boost.org and install CMake .
- Build the boost libraries
cd boost_1_XX_0 && ./bootstrap.bat && ./b2.exe --build-type=complete --with-regex --with-program_options --with-system --with-filesystem
- Add an environment variable
BOOST_ROOTwhich contains the path to your
- Download and install Git
git clone https://github.com/JusticeRage/Manalyze.git && cd Manalyze && cmake .
- A Visual Studio project
manalyze.slnshould have appeared in the
If you need to build Manalyze on a machine with no internet access, you have to manually check out the following projects:
external/hash-libraryrespectively. Then run
cmake . -DGitHub=OFFand continue as you normally would.
Windows x86 binaries
All the binaries in this archive are signed with a certificate presenting the following fingerprint:
Generating ClamAV rules
Since ClamAV signatures are voluminous and updated regularly, it didn't make a lot of sense to distribute them from GitHub or with the binary. When you try using the ClamAV plugin for the first time, you will likely encounter the following error message:
[!] Error: Could not load yara_rules/clamav.yara. In order to generate them, simply run the
update_clamav_signatures.pyPython script located in
Run the script whenever you want to refresh the signatures.
$ ./manalyze.exe --help
-h [ --help ] Displays this message.
-v [ --version ] Prints the program's version.
--pe arg The PE to analyze. Also accepted as a positional
argument. Multiple files may be specified.
-r [ --recursive ] Scan all files in a directory (subdirectories will be
-o [ --output ] arg The output format. May be 'raw' (default) or 'json'.
-d [ --dump ] arg Dump PE information. Available choices are any
combination of: all, summary, dos (dos header), pe (pe
header), opt (pe optional header), sections, imports,
exports, resources, version, debug, tls, config, delay
--hashes Calculate various hashes of the file (may slow down the
-x [ --extract ] arg Extract the PE resources to the target directory.
-p [ --plugins ] arg Analyze the binary with additional plugins. (may slow
down the analysis!)
- clamav: Scans the binary with ClamAV virus definitions.
- compilers: Tries to determine which compiler generated the binary.
- peid: Returns the PEiD signature of the binary.
- strings: Looks for suspicious strings (anti-VM, process names...).
- findcrypt: Detects embedded cryptographic constants.
- packer: Tries to structurally detect packer presence.
- imports: Looks for suspicious imports.
- resources: Analyzes the program's resources.
- mitigation: Displays the enabled exploit mitigation techniques (DEP, ASLR, etc.).
- authenticode: Checks if the digital signature of the PE is valid.
- virustotal: Checks existing AV results on VirusTotal.
- all: Run all the available plugins.
manalyze.exe -dresources -dexports -x out/ program.exe
manalyze.exe --dump=imports,sections --hashes program.exe
manalyze.exe -r malwares/ --plugins=peid,clamav --dump all