WindowsSpyBlocker is an application written in Go and delivered as a single executable to block spying and tracking on Windows systems. The initial approach of this application is to capture and analyze network traffic based on a set of tools. It is open for everyone and if you want to contribute or need help, take a look at the Wiki.
app.confis generated at first launch :
For more info, take a look at Wiki.
Telemetry and data collection
To capture and analyze network traffic for the telemetry option, QEMU virtual machines are used on the server virtualization management platform Proxmox VE based on :
- Windows 10 Pro 64bits with automatic updates enabled.
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits with automatic updates enabled.
- Windows 7 SP1 Pro 64bits with automatic updates enabled.
Tools used to capture traffic :
datafolder contains the blocking rules based on domains or IPs detected during the capture process :
data/<type>/extra.txt: Block third party applications
data/<type>/spy.txt: Block Windows Spy / Telemetry
data/<type>/update.txt: Block Windows Update
- DNSCrypt : a protocol for securing communications between a client and a DNS resolver.
- OpenWrt : an open source project used on embedded devices to route network traffic.
- P2P : a plaintext IP data format from PeerGuardian.
- Proxifier : an advanced proxy client on Windows with a flexible rule system.
- simplewall : a simple tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP).
Projects using WindowsSpyBlocker
- pi-hole : A black hole for Internet advertisements (designed for Raspberry Pi).
- OpenWrt adblock package : DNS based ad/abuse domain blocking
- WPD : Customize Group Policy, Services and Tasks, responsible for data collection and sending, as you like.
- simplewall : Simple tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP).
- LEDE Project : A Linux operating system based on OpenWrt.
- Mikrotik hosts parser : An application that blocks "advertising" for routers based on RouterOS.
- void-zones-tools : A list of void zones that can be readily feed into Unbound on FreeBSD.
- DNSCrypt Proxy : A flexible DNS proxy, with support for encrypted DNS protocols.