Extract Windows Defender database from vdm files and unpack it
- This program distributed as-is, without any warranty;
- No official support, if you like this tool, feel free to contribute.
- Unpack VDM containers of Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials;
- Decrypt VDM container embedded in Malicious software Removal Tool (MRT.exe);
- Extract all PE images from unpacked/decrypted containers on the fly (-e switch):
- dump VDLLs (Virtual DLLs);
- dump VFS (Virtual File System) contents;
- dump signatures auxiliary images;
- dump GAPA (Generic Application Level Protocol Analyzer) images used by NIS (Network Inspection System);
- code can be adapted to dump type specific chunks of database (not implemented);
- Faster than any script.
List of WD extracted images, mpasbase.vdm (version 1.291.0.0) https://gist.githubusercontent.com/hfiref0x/38e7845304d10c284220461c86491bdf/raw/39c999e59ff2a924932fe6db811555161596b4a7/gistfile1.txt
List of NIS signatures from NisBase.vdm (version 18.104.22.168) https://gist.githubusercontent.com/hfiref0x/e9b3f185032fcd2afb31afe7bc9a05bd/raw/9bd9f9cc7c408acaff7b56b810c8597756d55d14/nis_sig.txt
wdextract file [-e]
- file - filename of VDM container (*.vdm file or MRT.exe executable);
- -e optional parameter, extract all found PE image chunks found in VDM after unpacking/decrypting (this including VFS components and emulator VDLLs).
- wdextract c:\wdbase\mpasbase.vdm
- wdextract c:\wdbase\mpasbase.vdm -e
- wdextract c:\wdbase\mrt.exe
- wdextract c:\wdbase\mrt.exe -e
- Source code written in C;
- Built with MSVS 2017 with Windows SDK 17763 installed;
- Can be built with previous versions of MSVS and SDK's.
Related references and tools
- PowerShell unpack script for packed VDM containers, https://gist.github.com/mattifestation/3af5a472e11b7e135273e71cb5fed866
- Windows Defender Emulator Tools, https://github.com/0xAlexei/WindowsDefenderTools
- Porting Windows Dynamic Link Libraries to Linux, https://github.com/taviso/loadlibrary
- MpEnum, https://github.com/hfiref0x/MpEnum
- libmpclient, https://github.com/UldisRinkevichs/libmpclient
No actual dumped/extracted/unpacked binary data included or will be included in this repository.
3rd party code usage
Uses ZLIB Data Compression Library (https://github.com/madler/zlib)
(c) 2019 WDEXTRACT Project