The Hunting ELK or simply the HELK is one of the first open source hunt platforms with advanced analytics capabilities such as SQL declarative language, graphing, structured streaming, and even machine learning via Jupyter notebooks and Apache Spark over an ELK stack. This project was developed primarily for research, but due to its flexible design and core components, it can be deployed in larger environments with the right configurations and scalable infrastructure.
- Provide an open source hunting platform to the community and share the basics of Threat Hunting.
- Expedite the time it takes to deploy a hunt platform.
- Improve the testing and development of hunting use cases in an easier and more affordable way.
- Enable Data Science capabilities while analyzing data via Apache Spark, GraphFrames & Jupyter Notebooks.
Current Status: Alpha
The project is currently in an alpha stage, which means that the code and the functionality are still changing. We haven't yet tested the system with large data sources and in many scenarios. We invite you to try it and welcome any feedback.
- Kafka: A distributed publish-subscribe messaging system that is designed to be fast, scalable, fault-tolerant, and durable.
- Elasticsearch: A highly scalable open-source full-text search and analytics engine.
- Logstash: A data collection engine with real-time pipelining capabilities.
- Kibana: An open source analytics and visualization platform designed to work with Elasticsearch.
- ES-Hadoop: An open-source, stand-alone, self-contained, small library that allows Hadoop jobs (whether using Map/Reduce or libraries built upon it such as Hive, Pig or Cascading or new upcoming libraries like Apache Spark ) to interact with Elasticsearch.
- Spark: A fast and general-purpose cluster computing system. It provides high-level APIs in Java, Scala, Python and R, and an optimized engine that supports general execution graphs.
- GraphFrames: A package for Apache Spark which provides DataFrame-based Graphs.
- Jupyter Notebook: An open-source web application that allows you to create and share documents that contain live code, equations, visualizations and narrative text.
- KSQL: Confluent KSQL is the open source, streaming SQL engine that enables real-time data processing against Apache Kafka®. It provides an easy-to-use, yet powerful interactive SQL interface for stream processing on Kafka, without the need to write code in a programming language such as Java or Python
- Elastalert: ElastAlert is a simple framework for alerting on anomalies, spikes, or other patterns of interest from data in Elasticsearch
- Sigma: Sigma is a generic and open signature format that allows you to describe relevant log events in a straightforward manner.
(Docker) Accessing the HELK's Images
By default, the HELK's containers are run in the background (Detached). You can see all your docker containers by running the following command:
sudo docker psThen, you will just have to pick which container you want to access and run the following following commands:
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
a97bd895a2b3 cyb3rward0g/helk-spark-worker:2.3.0 "./spark-worker-entr…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:8082->8082/tcp helk-spark-worker2
cbb31f688e0a cyb3rward0g/helk-spark-worker:2.3.0 "./spark-worker-entr…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:8081->8081/tcp helk-spark-worker
5d58068aa7e3 cyb3rward0g/helk-kafka-broker:1.1.0 "./kafka-entrypoint.…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:9092->9092/tcp helk-kafka-broker
bdb303b09878 cyb3rward0g/helk-kafka-broker:1.1.0 "./kafka-entrypoint.…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:9093->9093/tcp helk-kafka-broker2
7761d1e43d37 cyb3rward0g/helk-nginx:0.0.2 "./nginx-entrypoint.…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp helk-nginx
ede2a2503030 cyb3rward0g/helk-jupyter:0.32.1 "./jupyter-entrypoin…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:4040->4040/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8880->8880/tcp helk-jupyter
ede19510e959 cyb3rward0g/helk-logstash:6.2.4 "/usr/local/bin/dock…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 5044/tcp, 9600/tcp helk-logstash
e92823b24b2d cyb3rward0g/helk-spark-master:2.3.0 "./spark-master-entr…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 0.0.0.0:7077->7077/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8080->8080/tcp helk-spark-master
6125921b310d cyb3rward0g/helk-kibana:6.2.4 "./kibana-entrypoint…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 5601/tcp helk-kibana
4321d609ae07 cyb3rward0g/helk-zookeeper:3.4.10 "./zookeeper-entrypo…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 2888/tcp, 0.0.0.0:2181->2181/tcp, 3888/tcp helk-zookeeper
9cbca145fb3e cyb3rward0g/helk-elasticsearch:6.2.4 "/usr/local/bin/dock…" About an hour ago Up About an hour 9200/tcp, 9300/tcp helk-elasticsearch
sudo docker exec -ti <image-name> bash
- Welcome to HELK! : Enabling Advanced Analytics Capabilities
- Spark Standalone Mode
- Setting up a Pentesting.. I mean, a Threat Hunting Lab - Part 5
- An Integrated API for Mixing Graph and Relational Queries
- Graph queries in Spark SQL
- Graphframes Overview
- Elastic Producs
- Elastic Subscriptions
- Elasticsearch Guide
- spujadas elk-docker
- deviantony docker-elk
- Jose Luis Rodriguez @Cyb3rPandaH
- Robby Winchester @robwinchester3
- Jared Atkinson @jaredatkinson
- Nate Guagenti @neu5ron
- Lee Christensen @tifkin_
There are a few things that I would like to accomplish with the HELK as shown in the To-Do list below. I would love to make the HELK a stable build for everyone in the community. If you are interested on making this build a more robust one and adding some cool features to it, PLEASE feel free to submit a pull request. #SharingIsCaring