Open Cloud Security Posture Management, OpenCSPM, is an open-source platform for gaining deeper insight into your cloud configuration and metadata to help understand and reduce risk over time.
- Security teams running infrastructure in cloud environments looking to gain visibility into security risk across the entire account and track the resolution of those issues.
- Development and Infrastructure teams looking for a set of security best-practices to follow as they develop new systems and bake security in early and often.
- Red Teams wanting to create targeted scenarios specific to their environment with the highest impact and benefit to their Blue Team.
- Any organization looking to establish a baseline of security issues, prioritize them by risk, and track them to closure over time.
What does OpenCSPM do?
When deployed inside your environment, it can:
- collect several types of cloud configuration data on a one-time or recurring basis from your cloud account resources (VMs, Clusters, IAM, etc),
- parse and load that data into a graph database with deep linked relationships between resources to support advanced querying capabilities,
- run a customizable series of policy checks to determine conformance and record passing/failing resources on a recurring basis,
- create custom groupings of related policy checks that aid in tracking remediation efforts and reduction in risk over time,
- and provide notifications when deviations from desired baselines occur to multiple destinations.
OpenCSPM has several key components that work together:
- Structured configuration and metadata is collected from the GCP Cloud Asset Inventory and Kubernetes API to a Storage Bucket or local filesystem.
- The data is parsed and loaded into a Graph Database with complex relationships intact.
- One or more customizable sets of policy checks ("control packs") are run against the parsed inventory data, and results are stored.
- The API/Engine serves up the user interface, handles tracking of campaigns, and notifications.
Ready to get going? Follow the instructions for getting started or watch the following getting started video:
Support and Community
OpenCSPM was made open-source software by Josh Larsen and Brad Geesaman, the co-founders of Darkbit. Darkbit is a cloud-native security assessment consulting firm based in the US that helps organizations understand the risks in their cloud and Kubernetes resource configurations.